Oil on panel, Mahogany Characters in a path lined with rocks and birches. Signed lower left. Original wooden frame and golden paste, hollow profile decorated with heart stripes and palmettes in the corners. Panel: 20.5 / 26.5cm With frame: 29 / 34cm
Georges Pierre Dieterle (1844 -1937) Graduated from the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris in 1863. Dieterle was an architect who became a painter in 1872. He was a friend, but also a pupil of Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot. He moved to Normandy in 1881, where he became the mayor of Criquebeuf-en-Caux. In 1881, he was appointed curator of the Museum of painting in Fécamp. Georges Pierre Dieterle became a member of the Salon des Artistes Français in Paris in 1883. He choose above all the basin of the Seine and in particular the Normandy countryside as a favorite subject, including seaports such as Le Havre or Fécamp.
His work is perfectly in line with the artists of the Barbizon school.